Hands-on Vocational Training and Job Placement for DOG Related Careers
The Austin Dog Alliance S+CORE! program provides canine-related employment training and job placement. This program addresses the social etiquette of finding employment and working, as well as technical skills for jobs in shelters, doggie day care, boarding kennels, grooming facilities and veterinarian offices.
The training program consists of two classes:
Introduction to Job Skills for Dog Related Careers
– This 16 hour course is an introduction to dog related career opportunities. The course includes hands on interaction with dogs every class. Work days at dog related businesses enhance the learning experience. At the end of the course, students will have life skills related to owning a dog and an understanding of dog related career opportunities.
Job Skills for Dog Related Careers
– This 70 hour course will prepare students for dog related careers in shelters, kennels, veterinarian offices and grooming facilities. The class meets three days a week. The course teaches vocational skills working with dogs in a variety of environments and soft skills related to obtaining and keeping a job. Each session includes 5 field trips to potential work environments and guest speakers.
Job placement assistance
includes developing a resume and cover letter, preparing for the job interview, identifying and contacting potential employers, negotiating the terms of employment, providing job coaching during the first few weeks of employment and providing an on-going resource for work related issues.
Soft Skill Vocational Training for ANY Career
Soft skill vocational training courses are designed to develop the competencies and essential skills necessary to obtain and function successfully on any type of job.
These courses are designed to accommodate a wide variety of learning capabilities and include a variety of teaching methods, including:
- PowerPoint presentations
- inquiry-based instruction
- hands-on experiments
- project- and problem-based learning
- computer-aided instructions
Therapy dogs attend each class to provide a calming influence. Courses available at this time include:
- Explore the You in Work – 10 hours
- Soft Skills for Work Success – 15 hours
- Entering the World of Work – 10 hours
Explore the You in Work - Students learn to understand their own work personalities, interests, values, and transferable skills.
Soft Skills for Work Success - Students will learn to understand and demonstrate the soft skills that enable one to be successful at work. The training focuses on developing essential skills related to
- effective communication
- problem solving
- work habits
- work ethics
The curriculum will cover the following topics:
- Interpersonal Communication
- Work Habits and Conduct
- Work Ethics
- Problem Solving and Decision Making
Entering the World of Work - This course will assist the student in gaining the knowledge and skills related to work place expectations, rules, and laws.
This curriculum will address the following topics:
- Health and Safety in the Work Setting
- Work Rules and Expectations
- Employer Benefits, Payroll and Paycheck Basics